December 12, 2010

The 'Pineapple Express'


The 'Pineapple Express' is a local moniker given to the 2,000 mile long tropical stream of rain stretching from Hawaii to Seattle in autumn. If it lands on you, you'll get a soaking!

2 am: I wake to the sound of torrential monsoon downpour. I worry the basement might be flooding. I fall asleep.
4 am: pitch black: I wake up and begin to worry. Torrential monsoon continues. I decide it is prudent to check the basement. Yes, basement is flooding!
4:15 am: pitch black: I venture outside into the downpour to discover downspout clogged.
4:20 am: I carry 25 foot (60 lb) ladder and drag it to the site of the clogged gutter. Flashlight in pocket provides light.
4:30 am: pitch black: I ascend the 18 feet to clear the leaves from the gutter... downspout gushes 50 gallons of pent up water & leaves.
5:00 to 7:00: I sweep gallons of water across the floor to the drain with a sponge mop. Floor is getting really quite clean by now! Monsoon continues...
9:00: Daylight finally dawns. Intermittent mopping continues. Flooding continues. I install an improvised sump pump to remove the pooling water in the worst places. Biceps have had quite a workout!
11:00: Rain begins to taper off from tropical downpour to just plain rain.... whew!
Basement floor will look fabulously clean once it's all dry.

*note: Drawing was from Art School...

No comments: