April 8, 2008

Bookmaking... the folded page


Thank goodness for modern technology... at least certain types of technology... like desktop printing!

I had fun printing out a page from my new book in progress, at full size. I was experimenting with the border treatment and was curious to see what it'd look like all printed up.

There's an indefineable magic that happens when a page is folded into a book. Maybe it's the changeability of the image... the transformation where turning the page acts like a curtain in the theatre. Maybe it's just because it assumes an elegant shape with curves and a center fold.

But whatever it is... it's bookmaking at it's most fun. At least for me it was fun to see the image at actual size with real colors on real paper... instead of just an image on the computer screen.

5 comments:

Phyllis Harris said...

John, this spread is gorgeous!! It seems you've really spread your illustration wings on this project. I hope it flies!!!!!

John Nez said...

Thanks! Actually in my case I think I just bloated up with gas and floated away...

But in any event, I'd guess it might be a while before I undertake another historical non-fiction book!!!!!

The details, the details, the details....

:0)

gail said...

What fun indeed!! That spread is wonderful! The whole book looks great. I know I saw it elsewhere as I was surfing one day. Maybe on your website, maybe somewhere else?

But isn't researching those details fun!

gail

Sam said...

That is so pretty - and you're right, it's lovely to see something 'real' and be able to hold it (and fold it) as the case may be!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on pushing through to this point, despite all "the details..." I know of far too many writers with half-finished books collecting "dust" on their computer hard-drives.