September 11, 2007

Finding the character...


I've finally gotten onto the pace of my new book, (after false starts & procrastinating... which is probably why we procratinate in the first place).

It's funny how a book demands more than just the drawings and words. It's almost like having a part in a play. You have to search around, experimenting to find the right 'voice'. Or maybe that's just more internalized malarky... the sort that we stay-at-home book workers specialize in. But I think I caught hold of that elusive little musette... so there!

It occurred to me while drawing away, that it really is quite flattering to think that thousands and thousands of readers will read my words and look at these same pictures. Usually I never give the 'audience' a thought... let alone a second thought. But it's nice to think of all the stormy winter nights when readers will curl up in armchairs under lamps to take off on the adventure I've concocted.

7 comments:

gail said...

Stay-at-home book worker. I like that.

Isn't procrastination really a way to let our mind have time to conceive ideas? Ok, fine, but it sounds pretty good doesn't it?

gail
Who has perfected the art of procrastination.

Gabriele Campbell said...

Hey, I claim the title Grand Phoobah of Procrastination. I procrastinate on five novels at the same time. :)

John Nez said...

I think procrastination is just when our minds are busy in the background... making all the adjustments required to proceed into a new territory.

Or maybe we're just innately & authentically lazy....

:0)

ChatRabbit said...

Nahhh...it's not procrastination. I call it "down time." I think we need more down time to work things out in our heads than we usually allow ourselves to have.

Curse you, fast-paced, instantly gratified society!

gail said...

...as I procrastinate a little more, oh I mean "make all the adjustments required to proceed into a new territory"...I forgot to say COOL PIECE John! Can't wait to see more.

gail

Doug said...

Those old-timey balloon flying contraptions are always such fun! I look forward to seeing more about the book.

Hey... I was procrastinating by flippin through some old (2002) issues of SBS Digital Design... and there you were! An article on texture techniques. What a surprise! I'm still trying to figure things out... :o)

John Nez said...

"I was procrastinating by flippin through some old (2002) issues of SBS Digital Design... and there you were! An article on texture techniques. What a surprise! "

Gosh! I'm glad SOMEONE saw that old magazine article. I was astonished that I never got so much as one single e-mail from anyone when that came out!!!

So much for media induced publicity!

lol!