April 15, 2007

Graffiti on the electronic waters of oblivion...


Why does one blog?
Blogs are graffiti on the electronic waters of oblivion.

Because no one else will listen... or just because we might have something to say.

Movie reviews today:

Carnival of Souls (Classic B Horror movie) 1962

"I don't belong in the world….something separates me from other people" says Mary Henry (Candace Hilligoss) in perhaps the most lyrical horror film ever made. It is the unlikely 1962 masterpiece "Carnival of Souls".

I guess I've watched Carnival of Souls about half a dozen times now... and it still keeps working it's magic. I keep thinking it's 'my' movie... probably because it was filmed in Salt Lake City, where I went to university... (BA English). And probably because I lived in a creepy rooming house exactly like the rooming house in the movie, and all I wanted to do was escape and leave town. And probably because I once went to a crazy midnight bacchanalian ball at the SaltAir Pavilion... just like in the movie. (only with modern dance majors instead of ghouls)

Weird stuff! Highly recommended.

What's Up Tiger Lily? (Woody Allen) 1966

My other movie choice this weekend is Woody Allen's debut film, 'What's Up Tiger Lily?'. Very funny! The beauty of this movie is that it philosophically proves a point that anything that happens in life can be considered to mean almost anything in any number of ways. One might as well choose an entertaining script. Like Garrison Keillor says, "God writes mostly comedy... only people don't realize it."

3 comments:

Sam said...

I never saw either movie, so now I have something to look forward to.
KI think Garison Keillor is exactly right - only I think it's more satire than comedy. Or if it's comic, it's pretty dark. I remember thinking that for the first time when that woman who saved the lions in Africa was killed by one. I was about 12, (and in Catholic school) and decided that if there was a God, he/she/it had the strangest sense of humor.

John Nez said...

Yes... 'dark humor' for sure.

But I think humor is the achilles heel of grief. I was in the most abysmal dark mood before I put on that silly Woody Allen movie, and by the end of the movie, I was all cheered up.

So I'm grateful for that!

jn

Sam said...

I am trying to cheer up my son, who has broken up with his girlfriend of four years, and is despondant. The only thing I could come up with were all the dreadful stories of my own break-ups. They are terribly funny now - at least they made him laugh.