June 21, 2008

Antique Roses



This year's roses are just perfect. They're climbing roses that bloom in abundance. Not at all garish like so many tea roses...

I think roses come out different every year. Some years they do better than others... but since this year has been so cool they came out just right.



Speaking of gardening, I'm re-reading 'Merry Hall' by Beverly Nichols. I started reading it almost by mistake and just can't stop. I wished he'd have written about 114 books so I'd never have to stop reading them. I'd just have Gaskin order the martinis, set out some Chopin and wait to see what Miss Emily & Oldfield have gotten up to.


3 comments:

June said...

I can almost smell the scent of those roses, just a sweet scented hint on the breeze....

Summer is officially here :o)

The days get shorter from now on :o(

tlchang said...

Do you know what the name of that rose is? I've been looking for a 'rambler' (over 15 feet growth pattern) that is still fragrant and enjoys Pacific Northwest weather.

John Nez said...

No idea what it's named... it's been dragged around to three different houses... but still keeps going.

jn