Thank goodness for modern technology... at least certain types of technology... like desktop printing!
I had fun printing out a page from my new book in progress, at full size. I was experimenting with the border treatment and was curious to see what it'd look like all printed up.
There's an indefineable magic that happens when a page is folded into a book. Maybe it's the changeability of the image... the transformation where turning the page acts like a curtain in the theatre. Maybe it's just because it assumes an elegant shape with curves and a center fold.
But whatever it is... it's bookmaking at it's most fun. At least for me it was fun to see the image at actual size with real colors on real paper... instead of just an image on the computer screen.
1) Manhattan, Kansas (In junior high school... in Kansas you get your driver's license at 13... farm kids need to drive early) 2) Manhattan, New York City (it was so much fun running away to NYC to become an illustrator!) 3) Salt Lake City (went to the University of Utah for my BA in English... very odd & wonderful place. Never been back.) 4) Denver (still kind of my home town... grew up there)
4 foods I like:
1) Oatmeal with raisins, cinnamon & bananas 2) Salmon burgers with red onions 3) Toast with salmon pate & sliced tomatoes 4) Red wine...
4 odd jobs I've had:
1) Substitute teacher: (where I was universally referred to as 'Mr. Lez' no matter what school I worked in) 2) Viola playing background musician: I'd sit on stage in a dimly lit restaurant and saw out Bach sonatas for diners in the dark. 3) Custodian: (for 5 years in college. I guess I liked the emptied out buildings and the peace & quiet. The music building was my favorite custodial route. I got to play the pianos in all the professors offices, while cleaning. 4) Children's book illustrator: Very odd... possibly the oddest job of them all. About as convivial as being a lighthouse keeper. The trip to the supermarket is often the high point of the day.
4 Movies I like:
1) Amadeus: Can't go wrong with Mozart 2) Nanny McPhee: This always cheers me up for some reason 3) Jeeves & Wooster: I wished real life was like that 4) Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House: Can't go wrong with Cary Grant
4 Things I do almost every day:
1) Go on a bike ride to get out of the studio and mingle amongst fellow humanids 2) Read blogs and email and post pithy comments here and there 3) Walk to the grocery store and lug canvas sacks of groceries up a hill (enforced exercise) 4) Hot bubble bath
4 Places I'd like to be:
1) Yellowstone... Jenny Lake in the Grand Tetons... someplace deserty & hot! 2) Rafting past Echo Rock on the Green River in Utah (eternity written in stone & quiet) 3) The cafe at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC 4) Somewhere in europe where it seems like a different century.