September 15, 2009

Line quality drives me nuts...


Line quality drives me nuts... plain & simple.

While working up a new digital technique I tried this experiment using a recent page from a new book. I used the exact same drawing for each, done with a 2B pencil. The drawing on the left is done with digital and the right hand drawing is done with acrylic paints and a real paintbrush.

At first I liked the digital drawing more. But a few days went by and I started to like the painted drawing more. They each have their advantages... and drawbacks.

The speed of changing around digital art can often make it harder to decide on any one thing. At least that's how it works for me. This is just the sort of thing that can drive an artist to distraction.

3 comments:

Paige Keiser said...

I put a great deal extra attention to line quality too because it seems to be the heart and soul of the illustration in the end. I'm annoyed at myself for taking so long to realize it - at first glance it seems like such an unimportant detail...and as I've learned more about drawing, I've finally noticed the wrong line quality can completely kill an illustration and leave it totally lifeless.

CA Nobens said...

John - how did you create the scratchwork art behind the digital image? Conventionally or digitally? It's a great idea!

John Nez said...

That's done with an opaque layer and a brush - so it's painted and not scratched out. That allows more control of the line quality.