January 14, 2015

New windows and a passing panic...


I think I'm having panic attacks at the thought of having new windows put in the house next week. I'm going to have to move my studio downstairs and then back upstairs.  It'll be duck and cover all week... with umpteen projects on the burner and deadlines ticking away... HELP!  But it's just a passing panic.


One thing I'll miss about the old windows is the hand-made glass that bends the light. Back in 1929 I guess they still had glass like that. What I won't miss is the layers of old paint, the freezing cold, the stuck jambs painted shut, the bugs all summer and the noise.



2 comments:

Wade Brandis said...

I wonder how much it would cost to have the original windows restored over full replacement?

John Nez said...

It would cost nearly the same and in some cases more. And there'd still be no double pane insulation. Some of my windows were already falling apart - held up with plates and screws and rotting out on the inside. An entire rebuild would cost more.